Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 10 June 2019

Monday for mindfulness

Just to tell you, I am about to be arrested for fraud.  That is, according to the recorded message I have just received from BT.  It is related to a problem with my internet.


Should I panic and press the button to speak to the engineer?  Definitely NOT!!!!  However, this could be a very scary call to receive for a lot of people.  The threat of immediate arrest would scare many people into following the instructions in this message.  

I have the benefit of knowing (a) I am not with BT anyway and (b) BT would never make such phone calls.  Another pointer to this being a scam is that the voice is American, unlikely to be genuine for this country.

It is hard to believe that anyone would be so cruel as to deliberately frighten people in this way.  I wonder if they ever think how it would be if their relatives were targeted in this way.  Sadly, these scammers probably never think that way.  All they want is the money they can scare people into handing over after extracting information from them

I have, many times, talked about ways of avoiding scams on the internet.  Never take part in those apparently harmless quizzes about the first pet you had, your first school etc.  They are not harmless at all.  When you look at them, it is surprising how much personal information you are giving away, information that is often used by us to decide on passwords and secret questions for example.  Just don't take part and you will avoid one possibility of getting your accounts hacked.

The other important thing to remember is that if an offer seems especially good, too good to be true, then it is almost certain that it is a scam.  Offers like Tesco (or other companies) are giving away £50 vouchers to everyone who applies today and shares the post are definite scams.  Before you press that button to win the voucher or the campervan which is available free due to overproduction, just STOP and THINK.  No company could possibly afford to make such an offer.  They would be bankrupt.

Then there are the offers saying that Fred Bloggs (other names available) has failed to claim his prize of a free holiday, so the holiday is now up for grabs again.  All you have to do is to apply before 5pm and fill in the form.  Another scam designed to draw you in and get your details.

So, as we start another week, stop and think logically before you press that button, whether it is on your phone or on the internet.  Five minutes will make no difference if it is genuine, but it will allow you to avoid being scammed.

Be more aware.


5 comments:

Lynne Bishop said...

Well don't worry Maggie we will visit you and bring your Clarity goodies. Think of all the Groovi workshops you could do in jail. Seriously though these calls are scary, fortunately the only ones we get are to tell us we have been in an accident. Awful drives in this house. Good advice. xx

Dawn Sirdefield said...

I thought long and hard before commenting - just in case this item on scams was in itself a scam!!! 😂😂😂 Seriously, you are so right Maggie. The thing I find sad is that when you tell people it is a scam designed to gleen as much information on you as possible, people get so annoyed with you for spoiling their fun!!! Their loss I guess. Xxx

Linda Page said...

Oh Maggie you are one very brave woman
I hope the prison they put you in is a nice one and near enough so we can visit .

Seriously though you are so right xx

Pat S Witney said...

Loved Dawns comment Maggie, asking whether this was a scam.
But your right these calls are very scary. Even the most savvy of people can get caught out.

Sarah Brennan said...

You are so right Maggie. I am surprised by how many people are drawn in by these scams. I must admit that if it looks too good to be true it is. I always check out the page transparency info on FB before doing anything too.