Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 26 June 2019

WOYWW 525 - a different desk.

With a number of things that have happened since the fantastic Anniversary Crop, I have been AWOL for a while and I apologise for not replying to those who commented last time.

Sadly, I had to take that final decision for Flash.  After that, I was down in Kent at the incredible Clarity Open Days.  Two days of watching and learning from incredibly talented crafters - Barbara Gray, Maria Moorhouse, Dee Paramour, Sam Crowe, Tina Cox, Linda Williams, Paul Church, Leonie Pujol, Lou Withers, Martine Smith, to name but a few.  

We also had the chance to do a Make and Take with Mike and Shona Bossum creating Encaustic art.  For those who have not come across this craft, it is the somewhat unpredictable art of painting pictures with a hot iron and melted wax.


I bought my starter kit a couple of years ago but never had the courage to get it out to play.  However, a brilliant lesson from Mike inspired me to get going and see what I could produce, as you can see from my conservatory desk.  These photos were taken on Tuesday afternoon after a fun time trying to remember what I had learned from a half hour lesson and watching on Hochanda.

My first attempt is due for another session with the iron today as I don't like it at all.  Much too dark with the colours becoming muddy.


The next two I will keep as I quite like them, although they are not perfect but I learned a lot from them.


I quite like the fence I managed to draw in on this one, and the folds of the hills.


This final one was intended as a seascape but changed a little as I played.


I feel sure I will be doing a lot more as I learn just what I can do with just a few blocks of coloured wax and a small iron.  It is a lot more fun than doing the household ironing.

I will let you go now on your way to visit the other desks on show at Julia's place, over at Stamping Ground.  Have a good day, everyone.

21 comments:

Helen said...

My SIL had a go at encaustic art some years ago, when I tried it I found practice is everything - hope you continue to enjoy it as your results are great so far!! Happy WOYWW and so sorry about Flash.xx Helen #2

Sue C said...

These are lovely Maggie, I even like the first one . The more I look at it the more colours I can see in the grasses at the front. Its one of those that is best from a distance. I look forward to seeing more of your creations in due course. Today looks like being a cold grey day but then a heatwave seems to be on the horizon so it could be a case of staying indoors out of the sun rather than the rain so more crafting time to keep us occupied !!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I was sorry to hear about Flash but it was the kindest thing, sending hugs to you xx. Encaustic art looks interesting but complicated, one of those that you have to try, I guess. I'm pleased you had such a great weekend away!
Hugs LLJ 10 xxx

Glenda said...

I tried this a couple of years ago but was never able to master it! Everything just was a mess. Hope the rest of your week is a good one!
Glenda #23

Lisapmac said...

Hi Maggie, so sorry about Flash xx.

I bought the encaustic starter set a couple of months ago but not had a play yet, interesting to follow your journey .
Take care xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg, they look great. Not something I've tried, but will get round to one day,lol. Love how the backgrounds take on a fantasy look- be great with my Lavinia Fairies! Much love, Shaz XxX

Lillianb said...

What a great time crafting with Barbara Gray and others, Love your art work,

HAPPY WOYWDW Lilian B #19

Loraine McLean said...

Wow, for a first go they are fabulous. They would be lovely in a frame and given as a gift. Well done x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I've always been impressed with this craft, i've never used wax in this way myself but what a fabulous job you have done and a great day in Kent to add to it. Look forward to seeing many more of your landscapes and background studies. Happy WoywW Tracey #17 x

Sarah Brennan said...

Love the sky on that second piece Maggie. It does look like fun and the complete opposite of the control you largely have with parchment work. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #3

Caro said...

This is something I have always liked but never tried. It is quite free form. I particularly love the unpredictability of it and your second one is very nice. Enjoy playing! Happy WOYWW. Have a lovely week. With love & God Bless, Caro xxx (#15)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are right that encaustic can be unpredictable. I LOVE the iron you used. I think it's the perfect size for encaustic work. I think you got some lovely pieces, especially the last one. Happy WOYWW from #1.

craftyani said...

Never heard of encaustic art, but at least I have the iron. Like the last two very much, Keep up the good work. Ani #18

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is an interesting technique and great results too. I have one of those irons and find it useful for other techniques too. Wishing you a very happy woyww with hugs, Angela x11x

Sue said...

Hi Maggie, I love the images. Not seen this technique before.

Sorry you had to let Flash go.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Happy WOYWW
Sue #8

Neet said...

It's a long time since I had a go at this craft but I have a picture somewhere that I once framed because I was so thrilled with it.
Am sure Shaz and Doug would love some of the fantasy ones.
Great pictures you did yourself. Well done!
Hugs, Neet xx

Shoshi said...

So sorry about Flash, Maggie. It's always a hard decision to make. We've been through it so many times... I think ALL your encaustic efforts are terrific, even the first one that you didn't like! I am very intrigued by this art form but have never tried it. I have always wondered how durable the final result would be, being made of wax. Does it tend to flake off eventually?

Thank you for your visit and I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about my two monster machines! You are right... I'm afraid Shoshi doesn't do things by halves! I had adventures with both of them today - a trip down to the shopping centre on the first (rather nerve wracking but I'll get used to it eventually) - first time out on my own with it - and then some experiments, with varied success, with air fried veggies with the other monster! Good thing my hubby is so longsuffering!

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #28

Anne said...

Hello Maggie. I thought I'd left a comment but I cannot see one. Thank you for popping by. I had not heard of Encaustic Art- looks great and as you say a lot more fun than ironing laundry.
I was away last weekend as you read and on my return found your lovely card and my parchment piece, thank you. Anne 14

Marit said...

I never tried encaustic techniques myself but I once won a beautiful, abstract, piece of encaustic art from Mary Beth Shaw that I treasure! Your pieces look wonderful too! Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog last week, I am late with my visit due to tropical days in the Netherlands (too warm to sit at the computer in the atelier - too hot to do anything really...) Warm hug from Holland, Marit #7

Lindart said...

That looks like a lot of fun, and I can see the landscape effects that it has - lovely! I've worked with beeswax before not not what you are doing with the iron. Sorry I'm so late this week! Thank you for your earlier visit, Lindart #26

Shoshi said...

Thanks for getting back to me, Maggie - very interesting about stabilising the encaustic art. I often wondered about that. I hope you will post some more of your efforts.

Shoshi x