Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 3 June 2019

Monday is for Mindfulness

It is always interesting to see what floats other people's boats.  This train of thought started at the WOYWW (What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday) Crop.  It was a lovely get together to celebrate ten years of the communal blog, started by Julia Budd.  Lots of chatting, lots of cake, some crafting.

Thanks to Lunch Lady Jan for this photo.
We were discussing what inspires us and what relaxes us.  As most of you know, I love all things parchment (apart from stippling) and it really relaxes me to hear that satisfying little click as the scissors create that lovely picot edge.  

Many people adore zentangle, or doodling and find that relaxing, while I find that it winds me up and I get more and more stressed.  On Saturday, I found two other people who feel the same about all forms of doodling.  It was quite refreshing I was not on my own.

I had taken more stuff than normal to the meeting as there were a couple of people who had expressed interest in having a go at parchment craft.  Two of them said the usual "I don't have enough patience", but after sitting down and creating their own PTC (Parchment Trading Card), they were delighted and remarked how relaxing it was.  Annoyingly, I had forgotten to take my box of tiny brads so was unable to put them together.  So I brought them home to mount and then send them on to their creators.

There were so many crafts being shown on that day, some of which I could appreciate for the skills, but would never be my choice.  Because they are not my choice does not mean that I cannot understand that others feel happy and relaxed while doing them.

We all have the option to choose for ourselves just as long as we respect the choices of others.   Sadly, our craft world is not immune to arguments and battles, just the same as the wider world in which we live.  No matter how hard we try, we can never stop that.

There has always been fighting between human beings since the first.  The dangers now come from the increasingly deadly weapon that mankind has invented, where one man can kill and maim hundreds of others in seconds and no longer even sees the true results of his actions.

If you are reading my ramblings then you are using a phone, tablet or computer of of some kind.  You are using some form of social media, where the click of a button becomes the front end of a weapon.  You will have, almost certainly, have come across so-called keyboard warriors, who cannot accept that others have opinions and views, and aim their vitriolic attacks quite deliberately at those least able to cope with it.  Like those aiming guns that kill so many without really experiencing the results, they can not see the devastating effect of what they write, being protected themselves and unable to see the faces of their victims.

Not so long ago, there was a group of people in our craft world who could not accept that there were new and, for some, better and more achievable ways of producing beautiful work.  For a while, Facebook really showed its worst side, with a small minority of people attacking anyone who disagreed with them.  For me and many others, the only way to deal with such unpleasantness was to just turn our backs on them by blocking them from view.  Right now, for me, Facebook is now a very pleasant place where I can communicate with good friends in freedom.  Anyone who becomes controversial or unpleasant just gets blocked and ignored.  Perhaps that would be the best way to protest against Donald Trump.  Rather than turn out to shout and cause trouble, just ignore the whole visit.

The way I try to look at life is fairly simple.  If you can do something about a problem, then don't stress, just do it.  If there is nothing you can do, then don't stress.  Concentrate on what you can do, and what you can do will be far more effective.

If you are still reading this, thank you.  I had not meant to ramble on so much.

9 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

It was a great day Maggie. As usual such a variety of interests and crafting on display. I so agree with ignoring stuff that winds you up. I tend to just scroll past and in extreme cases block.

Dawn Sirdefield said...

Wise words indeed Maggie. If only people realised how easy it is to change things then the world would truly be a better place. I too like lots of crafts, some I do well and others I do well in my head lol. But at the end of the day if I like what I produce and the recipient likes it then that is all that matters to me. Xxx

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg, totally agree with you. Too many people in the world today think their way is the only way. Personally, I think that unless a person asks for constructive criticism about a piece, or advice on how to improve, people should keep their own opinions on it to themselves.If you can't say anything nice, just scroll on past. Hugs,
Shaz X

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I think this is a very thought provoking post Maggie and you say some wise words. We cannot do everything or be there for everyone. I really enjoyed doing the parchment with you, thank you for teaching me.
Hugs LLJ xxx

Sue C said...

Glad you had a good time meeting up with your WOYWW friends. Its amazing how many different crafts there are but if we all liked them all it would be unusual. In fact if we were all the same life would be very boring & I always say treat others the way you would wish to be treated yourself. People need to think they are actually speaking face to face with the person they are writing to as I am sure some wouldn't be so offensive if they were. I agree though Facebook does seem to have reverted to it being a friendly place again, thank goodness. See you tomorrow & Thursday, its going to be a busy Groovi week.

linda said...

Good morning Margaret, I agree with everything you've said and I love reading your blog, thank you, I do hope to get to Bromsgrove to meet you one day !!! Life has taken a couple of unfortunate events as well as a bad back so not possible to attend at the moment linda Williams xx

Lynne Bishop said...

I love trying so many different crafts do not always make a wonderful job of them but that does not matter. I ignore the people who like to argue do not want to get involved. Glad you enjoyed your day. xx

Twiglet said...

It was lovely to meet up with you Maggie - I just wish I hadn't been so busy - I would have loved to sit down and work on some parchment. I know I couldn't achieve your wonderful artiness but it would be fun trying. I agree totally with your wise words at the end there. xx Jo

Helen said...

Maggie, I am sorry, I read this (on my phone) whilst at Kew on Monday, but couldn't comment at the time and meant to come back- eventually here I am! You are very right in your words and it is a very thought-provoking post. It was lovely to meet you again on Saturday and chat briefly.