Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Friday 7 June 2019

Friday - Finish off day


Not much finishing off today, but I did come across this part done sketch.  As a child, I loved drawing, mainly horses (my passion), birds and architecture.  I had my pleasure in drawing knocked out of me at school and am still struggling to get back to it.  

This is my attempt to draw a very imposing house down near Bridport in Dorset.  It is only a tiny sketch book that fits in my handbag, so you can see that I did not get very far.  Since then, I have done nothing.  So today, I have decided to "finish off" my avoidance of pencil and paper, and try to do a little every day.

It is so easy to be put off doing things because we believe we are not good enough.  At this stage of my life, I can now see that we are all wrong to be led down this path.  It is never too late to go back to these things or to start a new path in life.  Drawing is just a small piece of paper.  It does not matter if you don't get it right first, second or third time.  Just keep trying, just a few minutes a day.

A number of my friends have been and still are going through difficult times at the moment.   I hope they can find some kind of support from family and friends, and some kind of solace from their hobbies.  

When Geoff died so suddenly, I made the decision that I needed to change my life radically, and I have never regretted that decision.  That was my way of coping.  It may not be right for everyone.

I have heard the same comment from a number of people on Facebook this week, telling us that they are afraid to travel alone or to drive alone.  There is one lady, however, who, after dealing with the immediate trauma, really grabbed hold of life with both hands, and drove her camper van (they are not tiny vehicles) on a grand tour, doing things she would not have done before.

My first long drive on my own was to Dorset to visit friends.   I had planned my journey very carefully, looking at the map book, writing the important  points on Post-it notes on the dashboard, checking it out at street level on Google Earth, plus my trusty SatNav.  All this planning did not stop a rising tide of panic, and I had to pull in at the first services and sort myself out.  An hour later, I was able to set off again and had a pleasant time with my friends.

I am rambling again and have twisted today's theme rather.  If you are afraid of something, try to grab hold of it and beat that fear.  Little steps first, but then "finish off" that fear.  

2 comments:

Lynne Bishop said...

You have done really well Maggie, does not take away memories just gives you something to get up for each day. Since retiring I have started doing many different things as I soon realised that we could get a bit stuck in a rut. No need these days when transport is so available and it keeps the mind active. Hope the drawing progresses well. X

JackieCou said...

A lovely inspirational blog Maggie. You do so much. Currently I would never attempt a journey outside our ringroad on my own and, thankfully I don’t have to, but there may come that day, I know if I had to I could drive to our friend in Cornwall as I know the route like the back of my hand but I hope I never have to and I’d probably have to stop too. with regard to drawing, when I retired as part of a present I asked for a book about drawing and some pencils and have a lovely book which I’ve opened a few times but not really got to grips with drawing, there is no natural talent there and I can remember my mum drawing an African violet for me as my art homework a long time ago! I did pass my Art O level though ! With all that’s happening around the family at the moment it’s all I can to do set my mind to crafting but I’m making myself do it as I can’t do anything about it. I did a lot of pricking yesterday and need to attempt something different today to give my hands a rest ! Have a good day x x