Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 20 March 2019

WOYWW 511 - NEC goodies


I intended to be very restrained with my buying at the NEC last week.  It sort of worked but then fell apart when I ventured into the sewing section to look at the crocheted animals.  That meant passing the cheese stall, or should I say, stopping at the cheese stall.  Twelve different flavours to try.  They were delicious and, of course, some had to come home with me.

Most of my crafty purchases were from my two favourite companies, Derwent and Clarity Stamp.  You can see the stencils which Barbara Gray demoed on Hochanda live at the show.  The samples were so inspiring that I could not resist.

I was actually on tv on the Friday and Sunday, answering questions to win two beautiful cards.  The first one was from Linda Williams, one of only two parchment Master Tutors in the world.  As you can see, it is a stunning piece of work, so delicate, and I will treasure it.

The second was the very last from Paul Church's show, demoing the Clarity Fresh Cut Dies, with the question being posed by the bubbly Leonie Pujol.  I was not going to put my hand up for that, having already won one card, but no-one else even attempted to answer, so, in the end, I put my hand up.


They are fabulous dies and so adaptable.

I did bring a third card home which was from the Groovi Make and Take, which is the centre one in this group.


If you are still reading this, you might be interested in what other crafters are doing today in the What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday (WOYWW).  If you follow this link, Julia's Stamping Ground blog , you will find the links to everyone else's blogs.  Have a lovely time, mooching around on other people's desks.

23 comments:

Jane said...

I'd say that was quite restrained for you in the crafty purchases. Mind you there probably wasn't much more to buy on the clarity or derwent stands that you haven't already got!!! Lucky you winning those two cards. I'm sure you will treasure them!
I am going to be doing some secret stuff this afternoon but first I need to do a bit of the dreaded ironing.
Love and hugs to you! Xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Well done on winning those two stunning cards, Maggie, they are truly superb, but pat in the back! Well done to know the answers, see not everyone knows all the background that you have. Some lovely buys too, well done on make and take as well that would have been fun.
Smiled at the cheese stall, my first thought was at NEC? But then I really don’t know what is at NEC but you wouldn’t see cheese at two big shows I’ve been to in Brisbane, they were definitely crafting of sewing paperwork wool etc variety not foodstuffs.
Happy WOYWW, Maggie... you’ll be only one I get to .. it’s very late here.
Bedtime Nighty night. Busy day tomorrow too. Hugs Shaz in Oz.x #15

JackieCou said...

Very constrained ! Well done with the cards ! X

Helen said...

Very restrained! Enjoy. Helen #3

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg, lovely cards, well done on knowing the answers!I'd have stopped at the cheese stall too, lol. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #10 X

Lynne Bishop said...

I agree with Jane not a lot for you generally. Cards to be treasured. Your TV appearances were great. Xx

Glenda said...

The parchment card is lovely! I used to work with that medium and need to address it again! Happy WOYWW
Glenda #18

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Maggie, had to laugh when I really you had splurged on cheese and not craft stuff!! But I love cheese so totally get it. Great cards that you won, how lovely. Happy WOYWW Cindy #15 (I think you may have stopped by already)

Diana Taylor said...

The cards are beautiful but the parchment one is particularly stunning, especially given how easy it must be to make a mistake working in that delicate medium. I did a second take when you said you stopped at a cheese stall - I've never seen a cheese stall at any of the craft shows I've been to but I love cheese so have to go with it being a good idea!!
Have a great week,
Diana x #17

Sarah Brennan said...

You won't regret getting the stencils Maggie, they are such fun to play with. I'll be sharing my last sample on Saturday and I look forward to seeing what you do with them too. Fabulous cards, lucky lady! Happy WOYWW. Sarah #4

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Another one who managed to get to the NEC, so jealous. Loving your winnings too, well done. Wishing you a happy week and a lovely woyww, Angela x11x

Caro said...

So glad you enjoyed the NEC and those cards are stunning. Thanks for sharing. Take care and have a lovely week. With love & God Bless. Caro x (#30)

Anne said...

Hi Maggie and well done on your winnings - stunning cards. You were just up the road from me at the NEC - I didn't go though. :-( Thanks for popping by and for your kind words re my attempt at painting :-) Anne x #14

Sue Jones said...

Congratulations on the wins. Those paints look yummy , not been to a craft show for a while .I just get out more 😊

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I'm really glad you had such a good time at the NEC, and well done for winning those pieces, they're beautiful. I don't think I could have resisted the cheese stall either, yum!!
Hugs LLJ 8 xxx

Heather M said...

Hi Maggie, well done on winning the cards - they are gorgeous. And who could resist cheese - that's a weakness of mine! Have a lovely week Heather x #32

Stacy Sheldon said...

Ooh that is so fun that they give the sample cards away to people and YAY for you that you did win two of them :) ~Stacy #27

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Well done on those beautiful wins Maggie, I must admit I always stand well away from the camera's and try not to walk past when they are live on air hee hee!! The cheese stall is always a hard stall to resist and at the Christmas show well it always tempts us with lots of nices just like the Clarity stall which is always so nicely presented. Enjoy you goodies.
Happy WoywW Tracey #7

505whimsygirl said...

Hi Maggie. Congratulations on winning the cards!! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Thanks for visiting me already!!

Kay 28

Marit said...

What a wonderful cards, congrats on winning them you lucky girl! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day, enjoy the rest of the week and your weekend. Hug from Holland, Marit #20

Kelly said...

Good morning! Thanks for the stop by!
Restraint is a word that should never be used at a craft expo. Just saying. LOL This from a person who goes in with a budget and is usually pretty close. LOL Yum Cheese! I tried an Italian Goat cheese once that was fabulous. Havent' found it at a reasonable price since. Congrats on the wins! Love the pergo card. Great memory for sure! Creative Blessings! Kelly #26

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

You can't go to a craft show and not buy anything! It would be like going to a restaurant and not eat LOL! I like Derwent products too and would buy that Inktense travel set in a heartbeat! Happy crafting with your new goodies and well done for winning those cards! zsuzsa #22

Neet said...

Well, that was certainly a profitable show for you Maggie. Three lovely cards - one lucky lady.
I think the cheese stall should be banned, it is too tempting to try samples and then find even more delicious flavours for you to buy. I am a sucker for those truckles too.
Hugs, Neet 5 xx