Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Thursday 14 March 2019

Transferring designs, skills from one media to another

One of my favourite things to do is watercolour painting, which I returned to a couple of years ago, by going to classes with Matthew Palmer.  Last month, our class painted his snow leopard, which was quite testing but enjoyable.
This is my version

Matthew always gives us a small outline for reference.  I really fancied playing with that to see what I could do with it.  So I decided to try transferring it from a medium using a lot of water to parchment which hates water.  Is the woman completely mad?  Probably!

First job was to use a white Pergamano pencil to transfer the outline roughly to the front of the parchment.


 Then I turned it over, rubbed Dorso Oil all over the back and blended Dorso Crayons,which were roughly the same colours as the paints on Matthew's original, to create the background.  Everything else was done on the front, using the Perga Liners, and my Derwent blender pencil.

This looks rubbish, doesn't it, quite ghostly.
It was just a case of gradually building it up, and adding the spots and stripes, and starting to give him a face and expression.  It was an interesting process but needed me to think and work very differently from the original painting techniques.


It was colouring the eyes that really gave him life, and adding his whiskers and fluffy edges as Matthew taught us.  I also did a little embossing, on the eyes and the nose, which helps to highlight them and give his face more shape.

Then, I mounted it on Clarity designer paper to enhance what I had already done with the background, before putting it on black card and the final base card.


The insert and envelope were added, using the same designer paper to keep everything together.

Once I was happy with the way things were going, I decided it was just what I wanted for a very special lady's special birthday.  Now that Barbara Gray has had her card and opened it, I can show it.

I enjoyed the challenge and I am very grateful for the original inspiration from Matthew Palmer, with the addition of techniques learned from Barbara Gray and her team.  It is great how you can mix techniques learned in one area with a different arena.

7 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

A beautiful card Maggie. A real masterclass in colouring on parchment.

Jane said...

It's beautiful Maggie! The eyes are fantastic! I bet Barbara really loved it! You are indeed a very talented lady! Xxx

Dawn Sirdefield said...

Wow Maggie that is fantastic. I am sure Barbara absolutely loved it. Xxx

Sue C said...

I love your picture & I am sure Barbara loved it to. Hope you had a good time today, hopefully we will catch up with you tomorrow.

Lynne Bishop said...

Well done Maggie. You have created a wonderful card for Barbara. xx

Dora said...

Great that drawing!! Beautiful.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.