Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Friday 18 January 2019

Why should I re-perforate before snipping parchment?

Before I get to the focus of the title of this post, there is something that I want and need to say.  For a start, most things I say here are the result of things I have done myself and found out.

I started playing with another PTC on Thursday afternoon while I was with the lovely Bromsgrove Parchers and decided to use it to try to explain something that my briain has finally sorted out. 

No 1


This is as far as I got during our session, having perforated all round, even over the bit where I made a mistake (not important as that bit will be perforated and snipped out).  After I got home, had tea, and did a few other things I looked at my good big holes to find they had closed up. Y

No 2

In photos 2 and 3, I have re-perforated a small section to give me the good holes I need to ensure good snipping.

You will hear parchers talking about letting the parchment rest between each session of embossing.  That is very important if you want good white work without the parchment buckling.

No 3

 When you perforate, you are effectively stretching tiny areas of the paper and when you leave it for a while, it relaxes, and the holes shrink again.  The secret of good snipping is having good holes.  This means that you will need to perforate again to open them up.  I have developed the habit now of re-perforating a small section and then snipping before going on to the next small section.  That ensures really good holes

No 4

In Photo 4, I have done two tiny pieces of snipping, one through the original holes I perforated during the afternoon, and one in a section I had re-perforated with the bold single needle tool.  I hope you can see the difference.  the one that is vertical is through the original holes and the horizontal snipping is through holes that I have re-perforated.  To me, the difference is very visible.  The vertical section looks a bit as if I had chewed it rather badly.  The horizontal section is not as good as I would like, but, in my defence, I started originally parching using the fine needle tools, and I struggle a little to get the neatness I would like with the bold tools.  More practice needed for me to improve.
 
Many people, who start parchment craft, love it so much that they cannot wait to finish their creations.  So they rush their work and get disappointed.  That is a shame, but often folks do not understand why it should be taken slowly.  Apart from the fact that parchment projects should be taken slowly to get the best results, it is good to focus on the process and not the end result.  

I  have seen people pick up a parchment tool and start tracing the lovely art on a Groovi plate and just relax and let the outside world go away.  You can see the tensions and stress of life just flow away from them.  Give yourselves a chance to experience that release on daily stress by enjoying the process of learning how to get the best from this beautiful craft.  
Remember that people like Linda Williams, Tina Cox, Josie Davidson and others of the Clarity design team have been doing parchment craft for years and have learned more and more over those years.  There are others on the Design Team who are much newer to the craft, but they have still taken the time to learn the techniques steadily and carefully.
Be patient and take things more slowly.  Don't try to rush a piece of work for a deadline.  Instead, take it slowly and enjoy what you are doing and you will be so happy at the end.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is great advice - thank you. I shall bear this in mind on my next piece and hopefully get better results! I’m very much with you on the process, it is so relaxing & easy to get absorbed.

Jane said...

Thank you Maggie for a really good blog today! Such good advice. I hadn't really thought about perforating and snipping later so thank you for highlighting that... It makes perfect sense. I have a piece ready for snipping later so I'll reperforate as I snip!
Have a lovely day. Hugs xxx

Debbie T said...

What a great post. My own snipping always looks like a mouse has chewed it and I could never work out why. I've also only had the fine tool until recently and my snipping has been awful, even with the bold tool it wasn't that much better. Now perhaps I know why.

Thanks Margaret. xx

Sue C said...

Thanks for todays blog, your findings make perfect sense & explains why sometimes my snipping is better than others. Doing a block at a time also makes sense so hopefully all our snipping will improve if we follow your tips.
I also find it depends which way I am working across the parchment but the picot dies have helped eliminate some of that problem as I don't do so many outside edges now !!

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie, Thanks for the detailed information it is so helpful , and yes with parchment craft the more time you take on a piece the better it is. i have tried to rush a card and then have been so disappointed and had to start again.
So now when i do parchment i take my time and have a lot of things going on at the same time so as to let things rest.
Thank you for a brilliant blog on this subject.
Lynn

Lynne Bishop said...

Well explained Maggie. It does make a huge difference to the finished result. I have found Groovi to be very relaxing the last few days, helps a lot with aches and pains. xx

Glynis said...

Good wisdom there Maggie. I get people who haven't been parching all that long who go bozz eyed at me when I say rest the parchment lol. For impatient people, I tell them to have a few projects on the go at one time.

Lovely blog xx

Mariejixi said...

thank you o much for this, i am a newbie at this and this has explained alot where i am going wrong xx thank you again xx