Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 28 January 2019

Marie Curie daffodils - number one

For those who have no idea what this is about, you can go to this link on Hochanda     https://www.hochanda.com/about/paint-the-daffodil-rewind


This is where you can pay just £5 to buy everything you need to paint two special paintings in aid of Marie Curie.    Every penny of that £5 is donated direct to Marie Curie, so that is brilliant.

In the kit, you get a really good quality brush, two pieces of watercolour card and the bevelled mounts for when you have finished.  The paint comes as three blobs on a special piece of card and is more than enough to do the first two paintings and lots more.

Your instructions are available on Hochanda on the same link as above in the form of a masterclass from Matthew Palmer, teaching journalist, Penny Smith, and comedienne, Jenny Eclair.

This is my first go, in four stages.  It is not perfect but then that does not matter.  Everyone will do something slightly different anyway, which is how it should be.


This is the first stage with the basic daffodil in place.


In this second picture, the shading is going in to show which petals are on the top and which are hiding underneath.  The grey colour is mixed with all three colours.


Here, there is some veining, using a strong orange to give it life.


This final picture is the last, with the mount over the top.  The mount makes a huge difference to the final picture.  The green for the foliage is just mixed from those original three colours.

It is a brilliant idea to raise money in this way, where you can also learn and have fun too.

6 comments:

Lynne Bishop said...

You have painted a lovely daffodil Maggie. It was a good fund raising effort on Hochanda's part. Nice to see them doing things like this. Look forward to seeing your next painting X X

Sue C said...

thanks for sharing your daffodil painting, its a great idea. I recorded the show but haven't had chance to look at it yet.

Jane said...

Oh Maggie you've done such a beautiful daffodil! I watched the paint along with interest and it made me want to have a go so sent for the kit. I don't know when I'll do it mind. The two guest on the show made me laugh so much but they both had a lovely painted daff at the end of it but so different. I hope they continue to do more like this! X

Chris Kelly said...

Your daffodil looks so real Maggie. You have done a lovely job. I haven't started mine yet. It was nice to see the special guests painting along and how different their paintings were.

Sarah Brennan said...

What a lovely daffodil Maggie. It's amazing how many colours can be mixed from three basic ones. Fab job! Look forward to seeing your landscape.

Dora said...

Beautiful done.