Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Tuesday 15 January 2019

When is a border not a border?

When it is a border Groovi plate, is the answer.  I started on Friday, finishing off my little set of drawers, before getting stuck in to my PTC (Parchment Trading Card) for the swap organised by Josie Davidson ( https://m.facebook.com/groups/168389163628763?view=permalink&id=544406699360339  ).

Then I got hooked on making more of them, using mainly the Queen Victoria plate, which is the one that I had not used from the Queen set.  Yesterday, I used it for its original, most obvious, purpose, and started a Christmas (sorry) card.
This is now finished as you can see.
However, this, and the other Queen plates, can be used for the tiniest pieces, and you do not have to use the whole design.  You can take tiny sections and do all sorts of things by twisting and turning the plates.

This PTC uses half the diamonds only to create a useful border.

The next uses individual squares, set at an angle.  The colouring is done on the front and the back, using the Perga Liners.
Neither of these are 100% accurate, but they were just done as experiments, and just need a but more time and care to get them right.

One of my experiments went very wrong but I was able to rescue some of it and ended up with a topper for a small card.
Teeny, tiny bits of parchment are so useful for this kind of thing, and don't just throw your mishaps in the bin.  They often turn out to be the happiest accidents and teach you so much.

I am hoping that today is a bit calmer than the start of yesterday.  I had set my house alarm overnight as there have been a number of burglaries nearby.  I was woken by Flash, who was keen to go out.  So, semi-conscious, I tottered downstairs to let him out, got to the kitchen door to be hit by a wall of noise.  The alarm had gone off and the remote was upstairs.  Oh boy, was that a wake up call?  Then, of course, the phone rang.  It was the alarm company to check if things were ok.  My coffee was definitely needed to recover. 

Today is dedicated to making sure the kitchen is clear for British Gas to service the boiler.  Oh joy, oh rapture!  Then Thursday is the first of our fortnightly Groovi group meetings at Bromsgrove Parchers.  It is good to get back to classes and groups.  Oh yes, and it is the Groovi workshops at Evesham Crafters Companion on Saturday, led by the lovely Hazel Edwards.  Hope to see some of you there.

8 comments:

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Hi there Maggie.
Love the Christmas card offering, well done. I d them all year around. It’s sanity in my book!!love your work!
Hugs Shaz in Oz,x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}
{Wonderful Words Of Life - Shaz in Oz}

Kathy P said...

Beautiful Christmas card and PCT x

Jane said...

Really lovely examples again Maggie. These border plates are really cool. They can also be used across the bottom of the card too or across the centre at an angle!
Have a fab day! Xxx

Sue C said...

love the Christmas card & examples of PTC. just goes to show how even the smallest piece can look fantastic. I had another go with my Mary plate & am much happier with it so just need to finish that off later.

JackieCou said...

Looking beautiful and gives me inspiration to carry on. All I can say is I hope Fi isn’t expecting an ATC quite like the ones you’ve done ! X

Unknown said...

Thanks for the inspiration. My Victoria has arrived today and I cannot wait to get going. Have a good day.

Jayne S said...

Another lovely Christmas card Maggie. What a good idea to do small pieces with the Queen plates, I will give that a try.

Lynne Bishop said...

One Christmas card down then, starting off well. Keep it up. I have not achieved much this week not feeling brilliant but hoping to get back into it all soon. I want to play more with those Queen plates. You have shown lots of wonderful ways to use them. xx