Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 15 May 2019

WOYWW 519


Oh boy,where is this year flying off to?  I can't believe we are back at Wednesday or Whizzday again.  It is the day when we show our desks, warts and all, and display what we are working on at the moment.  We all link up at Julia's Stamping Ground and visit each other.  Next week will be our ten year anniversary to celebrate this achievement.

 Not any major change on my tray today.  Just a few well used parchment tools, my reading glasses, the case for my head torch (at present on charge), a piece of die cut picot edged parchment firmly attached to a fine straight grid sitting on top of the border pattern.

The pattern is from a class with the Queen of gridwork, Josie Davidson, but it was designed to use with a bold grid and tools and I also adapting it for the fine grid and tools on a lightly larger piece of parchment.  Yesterday, I only got about halfway along the first of the four sides, with a lot of muttering about why did I think this was a good idea.  Feeling much happier today as the first side is now complete.  I actually really enjoy gridwork.  It is just getting going that causes me to doubt myself.  

Those of you who read my blog or chat on Facebook will know that I have been suffering from an influx of huge bumble bees buzzing round my bedroom as soon as the sun comes up in the morning.  Getting up at 5am to shepherd one bee out, back to bed only to find there is another has really been getting me down. Five or six bees each day.  This morning seems to have been clear, but only achieved by firmly locking all the windows.

Right, I am off now to do some of the tidying up that should have been done yesterday.  Yesterday was taken up instead by looking through every bit of parchment and paper in the house to find a missing piece of work.  By evening, I was too tired for the tidying.

Julia likes us to keep our posts short anyway so I will link up and let you follow me over to HQ which is Julia's place.  Hopefully the kettle is on there, so why not join this happy worldwide group.  Any info you need can be found there.

14 comments:

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg, good to hear you are not evicting Bumble Bees today! You'd think, given how everyone says we need to help bees, that when someone gets a bee problem in their roof or wherever, ther'd be someone to call to move them. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #15 X

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I have jobs that I'm not keen on starting as well - and when it's done, I wondered why i put it off so much! Hope you have conquered the bee problem now.
Hugs LLJ 5 xxx

sandra de said...

Parchment work always looks so beautiful and delicate and such an eye for detail. Lovely to see how it comes along.
sandra de @23

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Kettle always on here, Maggie. 😊
I’m so glad you don’t have embedded comment boxes, about 70% or more of WOYWWers do, and it’s so frustrating as iPad recognises signed in on all but embedded.
They’re most unstable too and often why you lose comments it’s an embedded one, even not on iPad.. for some reason they’re default on blogger..

Sorry for the rant, I planned to comment on many as I could but was severely thwarted by embedded comment boxes. If you use mobile devices it’s a real issue.

Ah your desky share looks most organised, Maggie, I’ve lost prices like that and hunted to no avail only to find them after I’d made replacement piece. Happened on Sat, found it yest!

And bees, I had same issue, a few months ago, in summer here, in bathroom and laundry, but not one or two but dozens. Went out shopping came home thinking what’s that strange noise?
Thankfully both doors closed so confined. Took several days of spraying as each morning as you say there’s a repeat ..if lesser in number but I too had to keep windows shut as they managed to get through screens in both rooms though no visible holes.

Happy WOYWW and am sure your new creation will go more sweetly now you’ve that first side done. 😊 always the hardest.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.x #20

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, it's absolutely amazing what you do with parchment. I had NO idea. Sorry to read about your bee problem. At least you found a way to correct it, at least for now. Happy WOYWW from #2.

Caro said...

Look at all those parchment tools... it isnt a technique I have tried very often so only have one tool. I look forward to seeing your next piece of parchment work and meeting you at the crop. Happy WOYWW. Have a great week. With love and God Bless, Caro x (#18)

Helen said...

I do hope your bumble bee issue is sorted soon - it will be too warm soon (hopefully!) for locked windows!! Helen #1

Sue C said...

Glad your morning was bumble bee free today & hope you have managed to catch up with your jobs around the house. I haven't done much in the way of gridwork & definitely not freestyle. We decided to escape the house today after a couple of days of decorating as it was such a lovely day. We caught the bus to Stratford & had a walk along the river to where it meets the old railway. Then after a picnic lunch walked back along the track into Stratford. After treating ourselves to a McFlurry we caught the bus home. A great day out & a total spend of £2.38. Tomorrow I must get back to some crafting as special family birthdays are looming ever nearer.
I also need to finish catching up with Lou's & Maria's shows. I can feel another order wending its way to Clarity Towers !!

Heather M said...

Hi Maggie, tidy tray! I had thought of getting myself a little tray so I could craft in the lounge, and not feel too guilty about deserting Mr M - but all my stuff is in my craft room, so am just contenting myself with colouring whilst I am in the lounge. We have a bee problem outside my craft room (bedroom) window. About 30 bees so I cannot open the window. They were there 2 years ago, but not last year. Mr M has sent his drone up to see if there was anything there. Possibly a hive in the gutter but he isn't sure. Have a lovely week Heather x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I wish I could fit what I want to do onto a tray at the moment! I don't think I would like bumble bees as early morning visitors! Chrisx33

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sound like the bees are in love with you or maybe there is a nest close by. Hope they don't give you too much bother. Have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x14x

Sarah Brennan said...

Glad the bumble bees have stopped bothering you Maggie, but it is a pain having to keep the windows shut isn't it? Glad you managed to find that errant parchment. Happy WOYWW. See you at the crop. Sarah #3

Glenda said...

I have been struggling with carpenter bees drilling holes in my deck most of the Spring. They are a constant bother but I've not found anything to discourage them from doing this. I looked back at some of your parchment projects and I love them. I used to do this craft and you reminded me why I loved it so much!
Glenda #19

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Such a shame you have to keep the windows closed, hope they will find a new place to play soon and you can have them open again. I've not done much parchment but I understand about some projects once we get going there's no stopping us. It's a beautiful craft. Tracey #4