Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Thursday 2 May 2019

Thursday is for Tips and Techniques

Today is the perfect day for tips and techniques.  It is the day that Linda Williams has launched some really lovely new Groovi plates on the Pergamano Show on Hochanda.  These plates were introduced to those of us at the recent Groovi Retreat down in Kent.  More than 80 of us took over the Spa Hotel in Tunbridge Wells for a very intense two days of teaching from Linda and the rest of the team.


This was the first of two beautiful designs created for us to do, and I think we all really fell in love with this fluffy little blue tit.  This is a technique that Linda has been showing us at the Clarity Open Days but actually being taught, step by step, is so much better.  The people at the retreat varied in knowledge and skill from total beginners to members of the Design Team, and everyone was able to create a beautiful card.

On day two, we had another lovely design from Linda, again using the fluffy technique.


This time, it was the delicate dandelion seeds that showed the fluffiness.    Since coming back from the retreat, I have not been able to put these plates down.  There are so many images to choose on them.   Here is another version of the blue tit, but using the hexagon border.


I really took my time with the embossing to get graduated white embossing, without the parchment bulging or buckling.  I did five layers with the No 6 ball tool, before moving to the 4.5 for three layers, and then a couple of layers with the No 3 tool.  Between each layer, the parchment was rested overnight.  Linda taught us that good embossing should take at least a week to complete.

I have another version on the go using the nested circles, but that is still in progress.  
 I also transferred the techniques to another Clarity plate, the squirrel.


When you are working on feathers or fur, you must continually turn the parchment and think carefully about how the feathers and fur lies and work  in that direction.  If you watch Linda's demo, you will see how much she constantly turns her work to get the result she wants.

This squirrel involved a lot of different colours blended to get the final colour I was after - two shades of green, three different browns, orange, red, cream and white.  I used a picture of a red squirrel from the internet to work out the colouring.  I also embossed lightly on the back to give a little more form and texture to his body.

All these designs used two different makes of blendable pencils to get the end results.  I used the Perga Liners to lay down the base colour, and then went to the Faber Castell polychromos, to add the tiny detailed flicks for the feathers and fur.  As Linda says, your pencils need to have a really wicked needle point to add those details.

My advice is to get these plates and really have fun creating beautiful designs.

Thank you to Linda for creating such inspirational designs for us.

5 comments:

Sue C said...

This pair of plates look like the best yet, I think I have seen a little mouse peeping out from under the bluebell. Thanks for sharing your finished projects with us, definitely ones to be done slowly.

Sarah Brennan said...

Glad you can finally share your beautiful work from the retreat Maggie. Linda's shows are always so informative, she is a great teacher.

linda said...

Wow Margaret, I've seen the 8am show, and what you have achieved here, just Wow,I've told you before, you really are an inspiration ☺️ Linda Williams Woodland x

Lynne Bishop said...

You little bird is so cute. 🐦. We did learn a lot this year. X

Lisapmac said...

Beautiful work, I watched Linda do a beautiful Robin on parchment in Harrogate at the last exhibition and got to take it home, amazing to watch x