Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 6 May 2019

Monday for Mindfulness

Last week's blog about Wales got me thinking about childhood holidays.  As a child, I remember so many great holidays down in Cornwall.  It was a time when it would take two days to complete the journey, with a lot of time spent sitting in long traffic jams on the Exeter bypass (if we are forced to convert to electric vehicles, it could take two days again).  By the time we got down to Newquay, Dad had had enough of driving, so the car would be parked up in a garage for the fortnight.

Most of our time was spent on the beach, but we always did at least one coach trip.  It was a day trip to the Lizard Peninsula.  We usually had coffee in a cafe overlooking Kynance Cove, which was, at that time, privately owned, so it was not possible to go down to the cove itself.

This photo is one I found on the internet, but there was no name for the photographer.
Then it was on to the village/town of Lizard itself, where we would eat the picnic lunch supplied by our guest house in Newquay, before ending the day trip with  cream tea overlooking the harbour at Mullion Cove.

The last time Geoff and I went down that way, it was still a beautiful area, and I have special memories.  Kynance Cove is now National Trust, so everyone can visit it. However, because it is a long trek down to the beach, it is really quiet in the evenings.  We used to park up in the car park, and stroll along the pathway across to the way own to the sea.  In my mind, it was always sunny and warm, walk in through grassland filled with wildflowers, smothered with bees humming away, and beautiful butterflies.  I can recall the perfume of those flowers and the sounds of those bees.  We always brought a small piece of the serpentine rock back from the beach on those walks.

Lizard itself has not changed much since my childhood, but on the coach trips we never had time to walk out to the lighthouse, so we had to be content to buy a small model lighthouse made from the serpentine rock.  I still have that and treasure it.

I was an only child but I still had a wonderful time on those holidays with my parents.  These days, I would avoid places like Newquay,which have changed so much since then.  I prefer to keep those happy memories more or less intact.  Days when we would check the tides, catch the bus to Porth,walk to the cliff top cafe for a cream tea (jam then cream) while we waited for the tide to drop just enough to allow us to walk round the point on the beach to the next bay. Then we could walk all the way back to the harbour on the beach., just in time for a proper Cornish ice cream, or even a tea tray that we could take down onto the beach.  How many of you remember tea trays, with china cups and saucers, and glass bottles of pop with a paper straw, and a plate of cakes or a cream tea?

I could go on for ever about walking the cliffs in the evening or catching the bus to Bedruthan to walk all the way back.  But I will leave you to think about what memories make you happy.  It is sounds and smells that conjure up so many memories.  What sounds and smells bring back happy thoughts?

P.S.  I have discovered that several of my family actually read this blog so welcome to you all.  I hope you enjoy it.


1 comment:

JackieCou said...

I often think of our childhood holidays which were always in Charmouth, Dorset, collecting fossils on the beach, staying on the same caravan site, sitting on the beach all day, picnic lunch and teas from the cafe - which is still there - a little different but not too much. Mum used to start collecting supplies weeksmbefore, tins of food etc, to take on holiday with us, just packing up the car and having my things around me in the car (Teddy being one of them). There wasn’t money to go,out every night like now ! We used to visit Lyme Regis, Weymouth, West Bay and Portland Bill, climbed the lighthouse a few times and sat on the rocks. Not forgetting Bridgnorth the local town, We took the kids and grandchildren back a few years ago for a long weekend and they enjoyed it too. Our kids also used to go as we had thenodd holidaynthere after we were married. My mum often says she would like to,turn turnnback time for one more trip down ther all of us together. Even my Nan and Gramp,joined us at times. Thanks for giving me the time to remember again. X x