Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Sunday 21 April 2019

Sunday - Anything Goes

I hope you have all had a lovely Easter so far.  The weather certainly has been kind to us.  I had a lovely lunch out, up at Rebecca's house with her family. 

 There were two extra family members there, my cousin's daughter, Beth, and her delightful one year old daughter, Daisy.  She is a happy, confident little soul and a real credit to her Mum.

This afternoon was spent finishing off a few parchment pieces, especially a couple of cards needed for Tuesday.  I also finally finished off both the projects started at the fabulous Groovi Retreat, earlier in the week.  Sadly, I cannot show any of those four pieces.  The first two have to wait until they are handed over on Tuesday, and the other two are being kept back until the plates are launched on 2nd May by Linda Williams.

This week is likely to be pretty hectic.  I am meeting up with my three best friends from school and I usually take all the birthday and anniversary for the next twelve months, to save postage.  So I need to crack on and finish them off.

Looking through Barbara Gray's blog this week brought back some lovely memories of several holidays in Pembrokeshire.  We used to take our caravan in company with good friends, and park in what was just a farmer's field with the absolute minimum of  facilities, but commanding fabulous views.  We were also almost on the coastal path, with a good route down to the huge and almost deserted beach at Marloes.

If the tide was right, we would take out semi-inflatable boats down to the Dale Estuary, and sail or row in safety, provided we made sure we kept clear of the Irish ferries and the oil tankers going in  and out of the anchorage.  Night times were very peaceful and very dark, apart from lights on the oil port at Milford Haven, but there were millions more stars visible than we get in the brilliantly lit town.

Getting the caravans to the site could be interesting, along seriously narrow and twisty lanes.  On one journey we went round a blind bend to be met by three huge combines.  Help!  I got out and tried to guide Geoff into what was laughingly called a passing space.  Then we realised that the wonderful combine drivers were backing up to let us through.  They backed at least a mile to where the road opened out at a crossroads.  There we saw about fifteen cars littered over the grass verges to get out of the way of the combines.  That was an interesting experience, preferably not to be repeated.

Once we were on our field, it was just the most relaxing and peaceful place to be.  That peace is something we all need at times.

3 comments:

Jane said...

Hello Maggie. Bit late but I particularly enjoyed your blog today as it brought back some very happy childhood memories.
Mum and dad bought a touring caravan when I was around 7 or 8 following my parents having a nightmare holiday in a B&B ... It wasn't the place.. It was the other family that was there with us. My mum vowed she would never go in a guest house again. So they bought a caravan. Mum religiously kept a log of every mile they did with the van. I remember loving being on holiday in our van and being able to go to collect milk from farms and going collecting mushrooms for breakfast. My dad knew the types that were edible. We went many times to Wales and to Cornwall but dad always found the narrowest roads often with grass growing up the middle!! But he always managed to get us to some amazing places.
I would have loved a caravan but never got round to getting one. Plus I don't think Colin was as keen.
Have a good day tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing your projects! Xxx

Sue C said...

Isn't it strange how a comment by someone else sets you off down memory lane. We bought our 1st caravan when our children were very small after a camping trip with our daughter aged 18 months ended with all the pots & pans being spread across the groundsheet & filled with cornflakes, eggs & milk to the brim. Done breakfast said our daughter who had managed to climb out of her cot bed whilst we slept. Thankfully she hadn't worked out how to unzip the doors of the tent!! We had many holidays & weekends away over the years both in the UK & Europe until our son joined a football team & wanted to play on Sundays. We later bought a motor home & again had some great trips now we are into airbnb or other similar accommodation. There are still some parts of the UK we haven't visited yet. Needless to say we have been down some very narrow lanes just praying that we didn't meet anyone coming the other way.
With all the hints about what is to come on the TV with Clarity over the next 2 weeks I had better win the lottery or the premium bonds !!

Sarah Brennan said...

We didn't have a touring caravan but I can well remember queueing up to go through the Atherton flight of locks on the Coventry Canal with our canal boat when I was a child. We had many happy weeks and weekends on the water. We visited Oxford a few times too. Happy Easter Maggie.