Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Friday 19 April 2019

Friday is for finishing off, or it should be

I had intended to finish off the re-perforations on this challenge piece, but the best plans often get changed.  When I started doing it, my gold gel pen decided it hated me, and began stuttering and scratching, and left me with a messy line.  I finally found another gold pen and went over the lines.

BIG MISTAKE!!

I should have tested it out more carefully before going for it.  Please learn from my mistakes.  The original pen gave a thin line which is what I wanted.  This new one turned out to do thick lines, not the right look for this oriental design by Marina Wiyadharma.  Once I had started, I had to keep going.  Not happy!


That was yesterday.  Today, I found another thin pen and started all over again, right from the beginning.  I was tempted to give up and throw this disaster in the bin.  However, I hate being beaten, so I will try to rescue it later after I have had time to think about it.  I will now work more slowly and carefully on the replacement, which incidentally was number three attempt.  So number four needs to be right.  I can live with the odd misplacement of a hole as there are a load at small flowers to add anyway.


This is where I have got to so far, hard to see as the perforations are not strong and the colour and whitework has not been started yet.

My other finishing off task was to do another layer of embossing on the first project from the retreat.  I have come down today to the Pergamano number three tool, still very gently.  I reckon I still need at least another two days of that to really finish the shading of the white work.  Then there is a lot of cut work to do at the end.  I loved the project so much that I do not want to spoil it by rushing at the last stage.

As there is no workshop tomorrow, I think I will start another couple of replicas, partly to make sure the technique stays firmly in my brain.

Have a good evening, folks.

3 comments:

Jane said...

It is good to finish things off but my pile of UFOs is growing. I just don't seem to get the time to do them at the moment. If I'm not doing secret stuff I'm doing wedding things!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing your projects from the retreat!
Have a good evening Xxxx

Sarah Brennan said...

You are welcome to tackle my pile of UFOs any time Maggie. Hope it's 4th time lucky.

Lynne Bishop said...

You are not going to be defeated on that design are you? Hope 4th time is the last time. I am hoping to get on with my retreat projects this weekend. xx