Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 22 April 2019

Monday for mindfulness

Although I have been busy doing Groovi stuff, I cannot show any of it as it is all secret stuff untill it is either delivered or plates launched.  There are two birthday cards for delivery tomorrow, so you can see those then.  The other two cards, just finished are the ones from the Groovi Retreat.  I thought it was good manners to keep those hidden until Linda has the pleasure of launching her lovely new plates on Hochanda on 2nd May.  I will just say that you will need those plates. You cannot sit on your hands for these.

Yesterday's post seemed to strike a real chord with some people, bringing back happy memories, which they shared in their comments.  So I thought I would continue that thread today.  All this came from Barbara Gray's blog, showing us photos of her relaxing break with Dave and Mike and Shona Bossom along the beautiful coast of Pembrokeshire.  If you want to see, you can find them at Barbara and Dave relaxing

I told you yesterday about meeting the combines on our journey to Marloes - scary.  We sometimes travelled together with our friends, and whoever was in the lead would warn the others of potential problems using amateur radio.  The radio was also useful in other ways as we could listen in to the coastguard frequency.  That also gave us very accurate weather forecasts which proved very useful. 

We always set up camp at the very top of the field to get the best views but that did leave us vulnerable to bad weather.   If we heard the coastguards say that strong winds were expected, the awnings were dropped instantly and the motors parked in front of the caravans, facing into the wind.  We always rushed round to the tenters to warn them to move to the bottom of the hill under the protection of the hedge.

If you peer into the distance towards the left of the skyline, you can see two little white dots.  Those are our caravans in glorious isolation, with a huge field all to ourselves.  We were able to close the gate to the road and let the dogs run free and have fun in safety.  This particular shot was taken from the Pembrokeshire coastal path.



This second photo does not show much but during the day, we could sit and watch the various tankers making their way to and from the refinery a Milford Haven, and tell the time by watching the Irish Ferry on its travels.

 
A few yards up the lane is the path that leads down to the beautiful beach at Marloes.  It is nearly a mile from end to end, and quite steep in places.  The first section is just passable to cars, as far as the cottage halfway down , but the rest is hard work, especially coming back up at the end of the day.

The little island you can see is Gateholm, which was featured in an episode of Time Team ( Time Team on Gateholm), which was fascinating as all their equipment had to be taken across on zip lines.  The beach itself is huge and always quiet, mainly because of the long walk down and back.


This was Geoff as we walked along the coastal path in spring with carpets of wild flowers everywhere, beautiful perfume too, and loads of bees and butterflies around.


We always made a point of going down to the cove at Martin's Haven at least once during the holiday, always in the evening to see the sunset.  This is where the little boats make the trip with tourists over to Skokholm to see the puffins.


The colour of the sky has not been enhanced here, and I have dozens of similar pictures being a little bit addicted to sunsets wherever I go.


As Barbara and Dave have discovered, this is a truly beautiful part of the country, well worth a visit, peaceful and relaxing.  Lots of birdlife and insects on your walks,

I hope you have all had a good Easter, in beautiful places with lovely people.


6 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

Some lovely photos Maggie. Great for bringing back special memories.

Barbara W said...

Hi Maggie. Thanks for sharing your lovely memories this week-end. I have greatly enjoyed reading them.
I am now awaiting your reveal of your groovi cards. I bet they are amazing as most of your work is.
I hope you have had a lovely Easter week-end.
See you at Evesham in June.
Barbara x

Lynne Bishop said...

Lovely memories. We used to holiday in Wales regularly when all the kids were young. x

Josephine Higgins said...

What a lovely blog. So nice to hear of happy memories so well written as well. I have never visited this part of wales. But spent lots of lovely holidays in caravans. In Nevin and that area, but not touring ones. I always fancied a camper van. But never got one. Hope you have had a good Easter i have had a very quiet one. All my family live so far away..the weather had been so wonderful that helps. Looking forward to the new plates, on my birthday as well so may have a good reason to buy some. Xxxxxx

Sue C said...

thanks for sharing your holiday memories, they certainly got me thinking about ours over the years. The trips abroad & around the UK with friends using CB radios to keep in contact so we weren't directly behind each other. The time we misread a French diversion sign & ended up driving through a car boot sale. All I can see now is frantic hand gestures & people pulling their blankets covered in bargains out of the way. Someone even shouted mad English people after us but there was only one way we could go & that was forward. Unfortunately there were 3 cars & caravans by this time as the others didn't want to loose sight of us. Happy days !!

Pat S Witney said...

Lovely photos Margaret. Bringing back memories when we used to go camping in Devon & Cornwall.