Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 1 April 2019

Monday is for Mindfulness

My blog yesterday was aimed to help someone to work through particular problems with parchment craft.  Today, I am trying to explain a little of the way I try to live and think.

As most people will know, yesterday was Mothering Sunday over here in the UK, a day to remember our mothers, although this was not strictly where this day originated.  If you want to know more about that, this is just one of many links to explanations - http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/holydays/motheringsunday_1.shtml

I will leave you to choose whether you are interested in discovering the history of this day.  That is not really what my purpose is to think about today.  I am lucky enough to have both of my children and their families living in this country.  

Yesterday, my son was unable to visit but he took the opportunity to call after finishing his night shift.  It was a very good thing he did call, as I had overslept, and only had an hour to get ready to be taken out by my daughter for a Mothering Sunday treat.  A little bit of a panic there.

She chose to take me, as a secret, to a local crafting centre out in the Worcestershire countryside, called the Jinney Ring.  It has been there for many years now, but seemed to lose its way for a while, so I had not been for some years.  Right now, the mix of small crafting units in the old farm buildings is really good, garden plant unit, selling all sorts of  bits and pieces of decorative things, a glass blower (great place to linger on a cold day), a potter (Barbara Gray would be in her element with shapes she would recognise), a jeweller, a chocolatier and several others.

We had a long chat with the resident artist, Michael Salt, who was in the middle of developing a beautiful view of Corbiere on Jersey in oils from the small watercolour done on site.  It was while chatting to him that I got the idea for today's blog post.  Bec was asking him lots of questions about how he worked and sold his paintings and he said that, these days, he paints for himself, to please himself.

He is so right.  Crafting, whether fine art type painting, pencil sketching, Powertec modelling or parchment craft, or any other style, they must satisfy something within you, otherwise it is really a waste of time and effort.  Anything creative you do must fulfil something emotional within you, otherwise it loses an important element.

A friend of mine has asked several times why I keep going to workshops and creating different designs.  I do it for my own pleasure and satisfaction.  Apart from the pleasure of learning with like minded friends, it satisfies a deep need within me, and gives me great pleasure.  It has given me confidence in myself and encouraged me to try lots of new things.  I no longer feel the need to justify my crafting.

At the start of every school year, I used to ask the children in that year's class to tell me when they thought you should stop learning.  The answers were always very varied, from "when we leave school", to "when we go to work".  Occasionally, someone would cotton on to what I was trying to get at.  The time to stop learning is the moment we leave this life.  If we do not keep learning, we start to lose important parts of our lives.  I try to learn something new every day, but I do it for ME!!  Not to please someone else, but to satisfy me.

My crafting does two main things for me.  I learn new skills, which makes me feel good, and it allows me to go off into another place, where I can lose myself away from anything else.  With colouring pencils in my hand, the house could collapse round my ears without me noticing. Snipping picots on my parchment pieces does the same for me.

Whatever to choose to do, allow yourself to enjoy doing and learning.  Concentrate on the journey, not on the end result.  Today, start by losing any guilt at "wasting time", and give yourself permission to enjoy doing something  for yourself every day.  Take ten minutes to, perhaps, sit with pencil and paper to draw what is there in front of you.  Just use that ten minutes to do something to satisfy yourself.  Who cares if you never become a world known artist?  This is time for you to lose yourself.

Try it today.

4 comments:

Lynne Bishop said...

Very well said. I enjoy the workshops as much for the company as for what I learn. I have made so many wonderful friends from just joining in. X

Jane said...

Dear Maggie you are a true teacher. My 10mins has been reading your blog and then about the origins of Mothers day. I found the part about simnel cake interesting too as I always thought it was to do with Easter.
You are so right .... You live and learn!
Have a wonderful day. Hugs xxx

Roz McLellan said...

Hello Maggie
What you have written today is so true. I don't know how people cope without crafting, or any hobby, in their life. Losing myself for a time in my crafting has helped me deal with the ups and downs of life over the years.

And, yes Lynne, I too have made some good friends, especially through Clarity. Meeting Maggie, you and Fred really make the Retreats and Open Days super enjoyable. I love you all and the laughs we have. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Love, Roz.xxx

Dawn Sirdefield said...

Very wise words indeed Maggie. I for one would have been lost over the past 12 months without my crafting and I do so miss the workshops. I agree with Rosalind, I feel for people who do not have a hobby of any kind in which to lose themselves, I definitely couldn't cope without mine. Xxx