Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 6 April 2011

WOYWW - 96 - What a mess!!

Rather late in posting this week, due to life getting in the way.  However, better late than never..... maybe.  These photos do not truthfully reflect the true state of my desk, and in fact, most of the room, for that matter.  Yes, you can see a little bit of desk, but that is only because I am very good at the "shove it harder" technique.  Even my big magnifier lamp is in use for draping cards along. 

As you may be able to see, I have been having more of a go at brayering, and working with Clarity stamps.  I have decided that I need to invest in new ink pads and also some detail embossing powder.  My Versamark pads are drying out, and my only gold embossing powder is what I would call "gobby", too thick to give a really good image.  Also, more practice is needed to really get the right result.

The one card hanging on the light is using Barbara Gray's ideas and some of her techniques, but with some adjustment.  Obviously, Barbara has not produced a new stamp especially for someone called Don.  That is something I printed from the computer onto the silk card.  Then I used the Versamark pen to go over the design before adding the gold embossing powder and heating from underneath to give the glassy finish.  (I have had so much trouble trying to post these last two photos as  Blogger is not playing nicely at the moment, so I tried changin browsers to see if that helped) Then I printed the design again and cut the centre out of the "O" so I could mask off the rest. I used Vintage Photo to stamp the foliage, and the three flowers, before masking the flowers so I could brayer the whole centre with Adirondack Cloudy Blue, and Juniper. I also brayered the border area with the same colours and used the foliage again in the border, then used a gold pen to outline the main design and to edge the whole thing before mounting it on pearlescent card. Although it is not yet perfect, the idea seems to work so it could be used for anyone who has an "A", "D" or "O" in their name.


The card on the desk is more conventional, using the proper stamp, and another of Clarity's stamps, the mini rose, which I coloured with promarkers. I need a lot more practice in using the promarkers to really get the right results that everyone else seems to get. I forgot to brayer the centre of the "O"before I removed the masking, so I grabbed the nearest thing, which was a tumble dryer sheet, and inked a corner, removed most of the ink before swirling it where I wanted it. I did the same with a different corner and the other colour, and it seemed to work quite well.

I could show you other pictures round my room, such as the two printers totally buried under piles of stuff, but I will spare you that, and let you get off to visit more friends from WOYWW.  You will find them at Julia's desk at http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/    Have fun and see you again next week.

15 comments:

Helen said...

Love the cards you've shown. I was reading your previous post about removing EZ mount - sounds like a challenge!!

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely technique with the cards. They look like they have been done with the one stamp. Very clever. They shove hard technique - loving that.
x Tricia (84)

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, quite a lot going on today on your desk. Love the cards, especially as it took some ingenuity to make the one for Don. I think you must be your own pickiest critic, all I can see is the hard work that's gone into them and how good they look. I like the wiggly gold edging too, but never trusted myself to do it, I'd wiggle too much. Have a great week. Elizabth x #108

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Maggie you put the Iridescent medium on the inked up paper and it is not a method I have seen anywhere else just thought of it while brayering and tried it and loved it. I am going to give it another go with other pads as the Big and Juicy is very juicy and not sure it will be as good with other pads.. time will tell...thanks for popping over and happy WOYWW!
Shaz in oz.x #25

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Here is link for using Iridescent medium Maggie into twinkling H2Os - yet to try it still on my list! love Shaz in oz.x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zep2692JRR4

and
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOXk6RZEJo&feature=related

okienurse said...

Very busy desk. Lots of fun things to look at. Nice cards! Read the other post about EZ Mount and I was told that there is an adhesive remover called undo that will help release the adhesive. Haven't tried it myself but...It is an idea. Thanks for sharing. Vickie #88

woodandfabric said...

Wow! Busy, Busy Desk! Your tittle should have read WOYWW 96 not 95 LOL!
Michelle *Ü*

Hettie said...

You are picking on yourself here! You always have a busy desk and some lovely work on there! Well done!!

Di said...

Hi Maggie! Wow, tons going on here - the Don card is simply beautiful. Am wondering how the EZ mount challenge is coming along. Di x

donnalouiserodgers said...

blogger does indeed have it's moments...i do love braying and hope you had fun getting your out.. thanks for calling by yesterday,

Dx

DottyA Cards & Things said...

Now I got to ask.... what's with the Baby Power???
You are really have lot's of FUN I can tell. Even with all the trouble it looks Great!!!

jude said...

I have to say the desk doesnt look that messy more creative.Dont worry we all have the hand to side technique it's called push to the side ...lol thats until it doesnt fall on the floor then your in trouble.Absolutely love what youve done with the card looks beautiful!
hugs judex 9

jude said...

Hiya hun.yes you can use theose dominos or buy special; blank ones.I distress them add embellishments,stick vintage piccy on add crackle paint or rock candy clear sticklers worlds your oyster have ago you'' enjoy!
Have fab weekend hugs judex

lisa said...

What an industrious desk. I love what you've done with your Clarity stamp too. It looks great.
I had to smile to see someone else with a tub of talc on the desk, beats a static bag anyday and makes your project smell nice doesn't it.
Hugs Lisa #128

Emma Williams said...

Love this card and a very clever use of your Clarity stamp...it's wonderful.

Thanks for all your lovely comments over on my blog...they're much appreciated!
Emma x