Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Thursday 11 December 2014

WOYWW 288 - a little late this week

Before I go any further, I apologise for the appearance of Word Verification on my comments page.  If anyone knows how to get rid of it, please let us all know.  I am one of many who selected NO to it but Blogger has put it in place all my itself and will not listen to my complaints.  I do seem to have removed it for now by changing from the pop up window to the embedded comments.  Please let me know if it comes back.  Meanwhile, does anyone know how to remove it from the pop up comments window?

Sorry I am so late on parade this week, but at least I have made it at last.  If anyone is still wondering what this is all about, I can do no better than refer you to our esteemed leader, Julia, who has loads of info already on her blog.  Have a read and then then come and join in.

Not really my desk this week as you can probably see, but this is the reason that my whole house turned into a desk over the past few weeks.

My daughter, granddaughter and I shared a table at a local school Christmas fair to sell our wares.  Not a major success, in fact, not a success at all.  We barely made our table money back.  As far as I could see, the only stall that really did reasonably was the Tombola which was full of alcoholic bottles.  I do not think even half the children and their families in the school even came to look, and this is a school with a reputation for good results in raising money like this.

My granddaughter was selling 5p and 10p sweets and was the only one of us three who made a profit.  I sold 6 cards all evening and brought my candles home intact.  Even the pocket money packs of 6 Christmas cards with crayons did not sell.  My daughter sold less than a quarter of what she would normally expect to sell at this event.  She deals in tiny micro craft items which she spends hours making - tiny fairy nut baskets and potion bottles and mini houses with individually applied roof tiles and windows.

I think it is a sign of the economic times with some of the companies in the area laying off workers and putting those that remain on reduced hours.

I have actually sold more cards since the sale than I sold all evening, and, at least, I have a lot of next year's Christmas cards already made and ready to write.  The candles will come in very handy when we get our likely power cuts over this winter.

I hope the rest of you had better luck at your events and that you are now all sorted with your Christmas preparations.  Now it is time I sent you on your way to visit more of those desks on show at Julia's.  Have a good week and I hope to get to visit as many of you as possible over the next few days.

12 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I always found school Christmas fairs the hardest to seek at....the kids aren't interested and the parents never wanted to spend their money there..... Bad luck but at least you're looking on the bright side :-)
Hugs, LLJ 21 xx

Artatag said...

I am so sorry that your sales were not going so well. And yes I see it with regret, that people have money for alcohol and cigarets but not for art and craft. But you are taking it like a sport and that is the best thing you can do.
Cheers
Gabriele 23

Di said...

Hi Maggie!

Such a shame about the lack of buyers - your table looked lovely too. I must admit I've only done one over the past several years and it was a big fail :(

Re WV. Right now, as you say, the only solution to make the WV box disappear is to use embedded comments. I'm sure it's because you stay on the same page as such whereas the other two options are a pop up box or a totally new page for comments. But, you can actually just ignore the WV bow, press publish and it works! I know, go figure, some IT geeks tinkering about with Blogger as usual. Some people have added a note to their little message above their comments box when they've opted not to go for embedded comments - I've spotted a few as I've been hopping round the snippets playground - basically saying, just hit publish and it will work anyhow :)

Hugs

Di xx

Laura said...

Sorry to hear your fair didn't go well. It happens sometimes, it is nothing personal but it can be oh so disheartening. Next year will be better!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg,I'm still ranting at the idiot on the forum, lol. Never heard so much cobblers talked by one person. Such a shame the sale was so poor, but I have seen a few people this year saying these fairs are doing badly. As you say, a sign of the times. Love from us both, Shaz xxx

Helen said...

Sad news about the craft fair, seems as you say that a lot of people have done worse than usual lately but I'm glad you've sold some since. Helen 8

An Occasional Genius said...

Maggie, you can just ignore the comment verification in the pop up box & just click publish without typing the numbers in. It will still publish the comment. I don't know of any way to get rid of it, I think we just have to wait for blogger to sort it out.

Your stall looks fabulous, such a shame it wasn't as good in sales as you hoped x

fairy thoughts said...

hi Maggie your stall looks lovely such a shame you didn't have the support from families you should have had. I have seem a lot of WV this week ... if you just ignore it and post a comment anyway it still publishes.... so I don't know what the point is really.
janet #15

fairy thoughts said...

didn't see any WV so it must have gone
janet

Nikki said...

Shame about your fair I tried to sell a couple cards online and that was a bust too so I'm guessing it's hit and miss with crafts at the moment. Congrats on selling some of your cards since then. Happy late woyww hugs Nikki 1

Twiglet said...

So sad when craft fairs don't get the support they deserve. We have done a few like that over the years! I always take solace in the fact that I have such fun making all the crafty bits and bobs and can often use them as pressies anyway. x Jo

House of Bears said...

I've often considered taking part in a craft fair but a lot of bloggers have commented on the lack of sales. I think people don't want to pay for handmade goods for some reason.