Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Saturday 7 April 2012

Pixie's Snippets Challenge 15

I think I should get into school in good time this week, not lie the rush I had last week.  If you are thinking I am completely mad, you are probably right there.  However, these are my offering for this week to the fun challenge which is Pixie's Snippets Challenge.  It is all good fun - not clean cos it involves inks and glues and stuff.  The idea s to use up all the bits and pieces of stash that we all have left over, ie snippets.

This first one qualifies as I cut the topper (with my one and only set of nesties) from a discarded sheet of card which had gone wrong, but I was able to rescue enough for this card.  The stamps used are Clarity Stamps' Canal Barge kit.  I was in a bit of a rush to get this one done (not a good state when you are masking and using inks and Promarkers and anything else that fits), so I did take my inspiration from a sample card created for Barbara Gray's programme by Dee Paramour.  There are slight differences, not least because of my novice status, but also because I wanted a smaller card than the original.  The horse should ideally be further in front of the boat to give a better perspective.  Most of the shading was done using make up sponges and Adirondack ink pads.  I did not have a tree stamp small enough for this project so I just used the nibs to smudge them into the background.   To get the break between the topper and the base card, I edged the topper with the red Krylon pen.

This is another card that I wanted smaller than the original stamps allowed me to do.  These are also Clarity Stamps, the Blooming Corner kit.  To change the size, I stamped a good clear image onto very white card, allowed it to dry and then scanned it onto the computer.  Then I could shrink it to fit my snippet and the pale blue pearlescent card.  Once the printout was thoroughly dry, I sat down to the fun bit, colouring it in, using Promarkers, all in pastel colours.  I was short of some of the colours that Barbara Gray had used in her demonstration. so I just used the nearest colour available.  Doing the blue round the outside and inside edges does really finish it off, and tied it in well to the base card.  The skep (beehive) was really good fun to do, and I was busy thinking of what other cards I could use that on.  If you want to know how to do that properly, you can do no better than to watch the expert herself, Barbara Gray, on Create and Craft - it is the latest Classroom and well worth watching.  Forgot to say that I also edged the topper with the same blue Promarker that I used to highlight the flower border.

This is rapidly turning into a Clarity post.  This one is a Christmas offering, stamped and then coloured.  Then I used the Quickie glue pen and my lovely Martha Stewart glitter to pick out the sentiment and the holly berries.  Very simple and fairly quick to do.  All the bits, apart from the base card,  came from my bits and pieces box, and the peeloff down the edge was from a set I am trying to use up.



This last one is another Christmas offering.  I had already cut this one out so I am not sure who created the original art work.  If I come across the paperwork, I will give the credit where it is due.  Again, to avoid matting and layering (which makes it more expensive to send) I just added a peeloff round the edge to tidy it up.  As suggested by Di, I am also entering this final card into Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge.

Right, having handed in my homework for this week, I am off now to have a go on the roundabout and perhaps do some skipping, before the birthday party tomorrow (little granddaughter).  Hope they have got jelly and ice cream for afters.  I probably will not get a chance to get round everyone until Monday, so I will wish you all a very Happy Easter.  Thank you, Di, for being such a great headteacher and looking after us all.

12 comments:

Di said...

Hi Maggie! Four brilliant cards here the barge one is stunning, loads of work I should think? Err, perhaps the lovely beehive one was loads of work too though - beautiful colours and I can see how the blue edging really makes the border 'pop'. Also love the two Christmas ones of course :)

Happy Easter, and thank you for your kind words!

Di
xx

Sarn said...

Wow - brilliant cards Maggie. Very proud of you for making 2 of them Christmas ones! Top marks.

I'm skating on the frozen playground pond . . . watch me piroutee . . . wheeeeee! Bump! Ooops just fell over! Bit dizzy now xxx

Di said...

Di again - not sure if you enter cards into Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge? This week's challenge, just started today is White Christmas and your little drummer boy card would be perfect!

Di
xx

Hazel said...

Love your cards - great use of snippets - love joining in the playground fun. I saw the beehive Clarity stamp demonstrated on C & C - love your version - and thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 67 with the delightful Christmas card x

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

Well done what lovely cards

jacqui x

Unknown said...

Maggie what super cards I love the little drummer boy best then the narrow boat, you have been busy Fabulous stamping well done,love the other two too .
Hugs Elaine
Enjoy Easter Sunday and Monady

Mrs A. said...

Like how you have taken the stamps and made them your own. Hugs Mrs A.

Bernie said...

Wow these are all so lovely, each one more beautiful then the next. What a great idea to scan and resize that stamp. Brilliant!
Hugs

Carol said...

Four fabulous snippet makes Maggie, love them all but that flower border is gorgeous. Carol x

Hettie said...

Wow Maggie. Haven't you done well!! Those cards are all gorgeous and you are nice and early with the Christmas card stack too!
I will meet you over at the Monkey bars but I am warning you they are flippin' cold on the back of the knees!!

Emma Williams said...

Oh Maggie, all of these cards are fabulous...especially the card with the barge. Well done you, it's beautifully executed and absolutely stunning!!
Hope you had a good Easter and a lovely weekend.
Love Emma xxx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, four terrific snippet cards and you've actually done the beehive as shown by BG herself - love it and plan to try it out for myself sometime soon. Of to look at your WOYWW post now. Elizabeth x