Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 16 January 2012

Craft a Scene

This is the first of my entries in the Craft a Scene Challenge for this month.  The title for this month is Anything Goes.  The stamps I used are from the Clarity range from Barbara Gray, and one of my first attempts at creating a scene for myself. 

I used slate grey Adirondack for the stamping, and the trees were done on the first generation ink.  The reflections of the trees were second generation ink.  The fence and the gate were drawn with a thin black pen. 

Most of the background colour was added with a make up sponge as the brayer was too big to fit in the areas I wanted.  The colouring of the oast houses and the hops were done with my limited range of Promarkers, with some blending going on. 

I edged the picture with the gold Krylon pen, before mounting it on white card.  Just a warning, the Krylon is wonderful, but do not use it on photographic paper.  It sits on the top and then flakes off, leaving a mess.  Everything else I have used it on has been fine.

My next session of crafting is intended to be a really good play with my stamps and inks to see what other scenes I can put together.  Who knows, I might get something worth showing from that., even if it is only a "what not to do" example.

7 comments:

NancyD said...

Maggie, I love what you have created here, especially what you did to achieve the mountains. Thanks for joining us at Craft a Scene for our very first challenge. NancyD

Emma Williams said...

Fabulous card! Really beautiful, Maggie and so well designed ~ I love what you've created!
Hope you are well...
Love Emma xx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, your scene is great ... love the mountains too - the yellow is effective. And your fence is terrific - freehand, eh :) I find that sponges easier to handle in tight places too. That's an interesting point about the gold Krylon pen - have never used photo paper so wouldn't have known that if I did. Good luck in the challenge. Elizabeth x

The Crafty Elf said...

Very nice Maggie....not sure I would even know how to create a scene for goodness sakes! I think it's just lovely!

Victoria said...

Hi Maggie, thanks so much for your kind words on my blog earlier. I ended up doing the background with a distress ink applicator as I couldn't get line-free brayering --- still working on that!! I love the soft yellows of your card. They give a lovely hue to the mountains. I really like the foliage at the top and bottom of your card too that you've used to frame.

An Occasional Genius said...

Hi Maggie, this is a lovely scene! I don't think I could put anything like this together so hats off to you! Just been catching up on your UIU makes, love the splash of red Christmas tree. Keep up the good work xx

Whimcees said...

Hello!

This is so lovely - very creative! Wishing you a happy day!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane