Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Saturday 19 January 2019

Not quite what I intended yesterday

My intention was quite modest, to mount these toppers, all left over from some of Maria's classes.

However, things did not quite work out as planned, so these are still waiting to be finished.  

Instead, the day was largely spent trying to get various bags sorted out to take to classes.  The most important was getting things ready for Hazel Edwards' Groovi workshop over at Crafters Companion at Evesham.  

Although everything is provided at any Groovi workshop, I do like to use my own tools, especially scissors.  I possess two pairs of Ringlocks, I struggle with the second pair.  Scissors are so personal and you need to get used to a new pair.

Whatever style of parchment cutting tools you eventually choose, do a lot of practice before you consider using them on a project.  Whether you choose the Exclusives, the Ringlocks, or the snips, practice is essential to get used to them.  

The other things I like to take are my own pencils.  I am a pain to share with as I tend to hold all the colours I choose in my hand while I am working.  That is not fair to those I am supposed to be sharing  with.   I also like my pencils to have wicked points which does not suit everyone else.

5 comments:

Dawn Sirdefield said...

Lol. I am sure these will all end up as beautiful cards one day soon Maggie. As for scissors, I quite agree. I just didn't get on with the Pergamano scissors and went for the snips. I have practiced and it suddenly seems to have clicked. Xxxxx

Sarah Brennan said...

Seems fair enough to me Maggie. If you are taking your own stuff then you can use it the way you wish to. Have fun at the workshops and hope you manage to get to your UFOs soon.

Jane said...

It's funny how you start of with a plan and then things happen to change the course of your planned day! However I am sure things will even them selves out in time and the toppers will eventually be made into a card. They are there in case of emergency!
I agree with you about scissors Maggie. No two pairs feel the same even if they are the same brand and style! I had a pair of ringlock scissors that I loved and cherished. But they went really lose and I couldn't tighten them so I bought a new pair. They took a while to get used to and now they tighten themselves up and go stiff to use. A rub with a tumble dryer sheet sorts them out. Strange how two pairs should be so different.
Enjoy your day. I am sure you will! xx

Chris Kelly said...

I am easily sidetracked . That's why I have lots of UFOs. I have to do a card for my friends Birthday on Wednesday. She wouldn't appreciate a parchment card so I am going to look in my box and see if there is a UFO that will be suitable. The thinks you have made with Maria look beautiful. I would love to go to one of her classes one day. X

Lynne Bishop said...

We all have to train our scissors Maggie. They do take a bit of getting used to. I am determined to finish off projects as they come along this year. Hope the class went well.x PS I always find you are very good at sharing. X