Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Tuesday 21 August 2018

What a major performance!

  1. I know it has been a long time since I actually blogged anything, but I had not anticipated such major trauma to get access to it.  Every time I logged in, it started to load but then got covered by totally unwanted adds for all sorts of things.  Now I have managed to get unwanted numbers that I can't get rid of, but at least I am apparently back in. 
This is a Groovi based design that I started a couple of weeks ago at parchment class with Pat White.  We were supposed to be doing our own design using the metal Pergamano grids, but mine had got mislaid during my tidying up, so I was allowed to use Groovi instead. I really enjoyed putting this together.  


I used the large octagon nested shapes to create the basic borders.  The rope twist edging is from one of the first border plates, and is a real favourite as it is so easy to emboss to add shape.  The balloons and large boat came from the Gentleman's Collection.  I drew the small sailing boat freehand as I needed one small enough to add perspective.  The other major plate I used was the landscape plate from the original Starter Kit, a real essential.


I added in the birds from the Groovi, plus some that I drew in myself.



I started the embossing on the rope twist, then I had a "bright idea", nearly a major disaster.  I thought I would use the small semi circle tool to decorate the inside border and snip it out.  Fortunately, I realised in time that would remove the whole border.  Instead, I embossed within the semi circles and reperforated the holes.


The colouring was a mix of the Pergamano pens, and blendable pencils with a little dorsing, both on the front and the back of the parchment.   I used shader tools to emboss the sails of the boats over several days.

When I worked on the hills, I added a few extra lines and shading to give it more perspective, using techniques I learned from painting classes with Matthew Palmer.  I firmly believe that everything you learn can be used to cross over different media.  In the same way, I use things I have learned from Barbara Gray and the Clarity team in my painting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really lovely xxx

Glynis x

Roz McLellan said...

Hello Maggie

What a lovely card. You have incorporated such a lot but it doesn't look 'busy'.

Love
Roz.xxx

JackieCou said...

Lovely design Maggie! Smiling at your near disaster which I’ve fell into before now! X

Debbie Rock said...

Welcome back to blogland - you have been missed. Xxx