Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 31 October 2018

WOYWW - 491


Two weeks running!  I will try to keep this up but I am making no promises.

My desk is tending to be my lap tray as often as not.  It is so convenient while I am doing my parching.  The only real disadvantage is what happens to all the tiny bits that I nip out.  They stick to my clothes, the carpet and the dog, and if you step on them with bare feet, it can be very painful.

These two Christmas trees are a design by the lovely Tina Cox and were a challenge from my parchment tutor.  (You might notice my head torch on the tray, which is essential for really close work, but I do have to be careful when in company as it totally blinds everyone.)


This butterfly was a serious challenge from my tutor, Pat White.  It was designed by Josie Davidson and is made up of three separate butterflies, all embossed and perforated.  I have just mounted it on a piece of the beautiful Shenandoah designer paper from Clarity.  It had to go into a mount to save it from the jaws of my parchment eating dog.  I did debate adding a touch of sparkle but then decided it was better left simple.

Over the last twelve months, I have been going to watercolour painting workshops with Matthew Palmer, who has given me so much confidence, after being told at school that I was rubbish at art.  Now I really love it.  A good teacher makes so much difference.  This one is a Stone Barn in New England, with lovely autumn colours.  I am hoping to get on his taster classes at the NEC, but that might depend on the motorway traffic.

Time to end now and keep things shortish.  If you wonder what this business of showing desks is all about, just call in on Julia at http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com where you will find out what it is all about.  Have a good week, everyone.


13 comments:

Sarah Brennan said...

Beautiful work Maggie. And your art teacher at school obviously didn't know what they were talking about. Enjoy the NEC tomorrow. I will be along on Friday. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #8

Shoshi said...

What gorgeous artwork, Maggie. I love your delicate parchment butterfly and your watercolour painting is just beautiful! I hope you manage to get to the classes at the NEC. I had no idea parching was so hazardous to man and dog lol! I bet you’ve been furious with the dog for chewing up your beautiful creations in the past!!

Happy WOYWW,
Shoshi #9

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh it’s lovely to see you Maggie! And I say- challenge met! Beautiful patient careful work, looks gorgeous. Had to augh at the thought of you blinding people with your head torch..it happens a lot here too, but I’m not very patient with the wearer!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh 3 great photos. Those cards are beautiful. And your watercolor also so the season colors. My next learning will be watercolor I've picked up a few of the supplies and between Youtube and Pinterest I'm full of ideas !! Have a fun week.

Shoshi said...

Thanks for your return visit, Maggie, and for the tip re the bread, which sounds a good idea. However, with the sourdough it has to have long slow fermentation and the first stage is in the fridge!! A lot of problems people have with sourdough are due to bad dough handling and perhaps I need to improve my skills. It’s such a delicate balance between enough proving time - but not too much or it collapses - and minimal handling so as not to over-develop the gluten which will prevent the formation of a nice open crumb. Considering this used to be the only way people made bread in the past (using the natural yeasts in the air and on the grain, before you could buy yeast in the shops), it’s a highly skilled, scientific process, and I don’t think I’ve quite got there yet! My normal bread is always proved in the airing cupboard but that may accelerate the process too much for sourdough. Definitely more research is needed!! In the meantime, we continue to enjoy rather dense, flat bread lol!

Shoshi #9

Claire said...

Such gorgeous creations! Love that butterfly <3
Happy WOYWW :)
Claire, no. 4

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a beautiful watercolour study, you must be so pleased with it Maggie.
I do hope the traffic does not stop you from attending the NEC tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be an easier journey as it is half term and there should be a little less traffic disturbance.
Your parchment Butterfly is an absolute delight, Thank you for sharing.
Wishing you a very Happy woyww Tracey #6

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg, will be interested to hear what the show is like, assuming you get there! It's supposed to have had a big revamp this year. Love the parching, the trees are fab and the butterfly is beautiful.Love & Hugs, Shaz #12 XxX

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Hiya Maggie, lovely to see you again! I'm loving your parchment work again, especially the geometric design of the Christmas trees, that really floats my boat, lol!
Hugs LLJ 5 xx

Helen said...

Your parchment work is outstanding, I love the butterfly, and having seen some of your paintings on FB know how much you've been enjoying it.
Enjoy the NEC and look forward to hearing about it (and maybe seeing some new goodies next week?!) Helen #1

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous projects Maggie. I so love the parchment technique but didn't realise how hazardous it could be. Have a great crafty week and a happy woyww, Angela x18x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, all you work is beautiful. The butterfly is so delicate and I like your choice of background paper. Your watercolour is lovely too - your quite clearly a lot more talented than your teacher made you believe. Shame on them for not encouraging you but then it's a frequently heard story. I was not included in art class but put in art appreciation instead ... not such a bad class as it happens because I really did learn to appreciate art. Enough of my moans. Nice to see you back. Elizabeth X #22

Dorlene Durham said...

Your watercolor is very nice. And that butterfly is gorgeous! Have a wonderful week. Dorlene #24