Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Saturday 30 March 2019

Saturday is workshop day

Once I got to Whittington, it was a great day of crafting and friendship.  Getting there was slightly fraught.  As it was the first time I had been to this venue, I had set my SatNav to direct me there.  Unfortunately, I was already on the motorway before I realised I had inadvertently turned the sound off - made life a touch tricky.

The rest of the day was great, with two fabulous pieces of gridwork to get our teeth into, designed and set up by Josie Davidson and Chris Walker.  It was so good to see some new people having a go and doing so well.

Lynne Bishop was in her element as she loves gridwork more than anything else, I think.  I took a while to get my brain back off the motorway and in the right condition to count up to four.

Lynne and I both made the decision to do the groundwork for both pieces while we had the plates in front of us.


This was my first one, lots of perforation and embossing to do.  I am ashamed to say that this was my third attempt to get the first row of perforating correct.  As I said, I think my brain was still on the motorway.  However, third time lucky and it matched up all round with only one slight mistake, an embossed dot in the wrong place, but it was easily resolved as it just needed to be perforated instead.  I did emboss the tiny dots within the central section straight away, as I had only done the outlines very faintly.

Number two seemed easier, probably because my head was back in the right place.  The outside border is the same, with a change of plate for the centre.


Both pieces will reappear in my blog next week, I hope, as they gradually get worked on to complete them.  (Yes, Lynne, so far I can remember where I have put my brands and gems).  There is a fair bit of colouring, re-perforating, and snipping to be done before they are finished.  All three of those skills are my favourites.  The only problem with the snipping is that my jumper and the carpet need vacuuming afterwards, but I love the little clicking as the crosses etc separate and fall out.

Apart from the crafting, there was CAKE!!  Huge slices of beautiful cake to celebrate Doreen's birthday.  Happy Birthday, Doreen.  There was also lots of happy chatting and cementing of friendships.

Thank you to Josie and Chris for their hard work and meticulous preparation to get everything ready for us.  Looking forward to the next one in June.  I will double check my SatNav before getting to the motorway.

6 comments:

Lynne Bishop said...

Well done Maggie your work looks wonderful. Enjoyed your company today and yes all the grid work as well. Not done any more to mine tonight, I shall start afresh tomorrow. xx

Unknown said...

Well done Margaret, I mnanaged to mess up two and only started to prick a frame, but really enjoyed myself chatting with friends. See you soon. Zena.

Pat S Witney said...

Hi Margaret
These are both lovely. Lots and lots of work on both of these. Look forward to seeing the finished work when done.

Sue C said...

Both pieces look great. look forward to seeing them next week once you have worked your magic on them !!

AnnS said...

Wow plenty of hard work showing there with the foundations of two pieces laid down.
AnnS.

Jayne S said...

These look beautiful Margaret, looking forward to seeing the end result.